Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Essentials

A sabbatical requires a certain amount of shedding--responsibilities, email, decision-making, analyzing, debating, forecasting, negotiating, colleague interaction, etc. And of course travel does away with other things--comfortable beds, vanity, mindless tv/movies, etc.

All are forgotten/missed as the case may be and ready to be picked up again soon enough. But of course there are other things we pick up--the learning, seeing, doing, reading, walking, navigating. Tonight though I was struck by how small our lives have become in some ways. Or rather small in the essentials. When I sat down on the bed after a long day trip to catch up online, I realized I still had my sunglasses perched on top of my head. They've been sitting there for weeks. Sunglasses, a hairband, and shiny skin (sunscreen) are the daily constant for my "look" these days. The sunglasses are crucial here with the bright, bright sun and of course I'd be a mess without sunscreen. With only 5-6 sets of clothes, each item is already hated and I know how it looks so why bother looking really. But it's the sun that sets the essentials. Oh, and the internet and a way to charge our e-readers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment