Friday, August 6, 2010

Cuenca, Part 4: Partying Parador-Style

This was our last night at the parador and we knew it was our last hurrah in Spain as we were headed for a Madrid airport hotel the next day. So we treated ourselves to a tasting menu at the hotel. You'd think a kid ordered this ridiculous dessert--nope, it was me! But I gave each kid his own cone.

The next day Ben fed the lion postbox one last time. We had a beautiful drive out of Cuenca and back to Madrid, with all those sunflowers facing us (ok, and the sun too).

Our last hotel doesn't really merit much attention other than to say that it was called the High Tech Hotel and we had no air-conditioning for 8 hours of the afternoon/night. And when Ed went to complain that it was 30 degrees Celsius in our room, the front desk guy said to him, "it is not 30 degrees, it is 30.5 degrees Celsius!" That would be about 90 degrees Fahrenheit in a tiny, tiny room. He had the gall to suggest we go to the pool. Uh, yeah.

The plane to Portugal, which we dreaded because of the kids' motion sickness, was uneventful but sadly the plane from Porto to Newark was really rough for the last couple hours. Ben, Nate and I were very sick. Plus the plane dropped like a stone at one point. Nate and several other people on the plane threw up; Ben and I just turned a wicked shade of green. Even the taxi'ing was awful (jerky, endless, etc.) I think the pilots were pretty lame. As one of my colleagues said back in June when I said we were flying TAP Air, "Buckle Up!" Even kind, sweet Ben told me not to thank the pilot.

Finally, we made it to the car rental place and Ed drove the 3 hours to Camp Hill, PA to see my parents. So very tired.

I have a couple more posts in me and then we'll put the blog to bed!




No comments:

Post a Comment